SUNFLOWER SEED BREAD RECIPE
Aug 30, 2021
- 2 cups (288g) raw organic sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2/3 cup (80g) coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk POWDER
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Set the oven to 350F. Add the sunflower seeds to the food processor fitted with the S blade. Grind for about 30 seconds, until fine. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Lay a piece of unbleached parchment paper across the bread loaf pan so that it goes down one of the long sides, across the bottom and back up the other long side. Note: If you use a different bread loaf pan the cooking time may change. Grease the two exposed glass ends of the dish. Set aside.
- Add the warm water and honey to a glass measuring cup with a spout. Stir until the honey is dissolved, then add the yeast. Mix the yeast into the liquid, then let it sit for 5 minutes. (It should be foamy on top after 5 minutes. If it isn’t foamy then yeast is inactive, but will still add a little flavor.) (If you choose to omit the yeast from the recipe you will need to include the water and the honey anyway.)
- Add the coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, and salt to the ground sunflower seeds. Whisk to combine, then add the vinegar, coconut milk, avocado oil, and liquid mixture from Step 3. Combine with an electric mixer.
- Press the dough firmly into the prepared pan. If using yeast, cover with a clean towel and place the bread on top of the oven for an hour to rise just slightly.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, until a knife inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean. Let the bread cool in the pan, then loosen the ends with a butter knife before lifting the loaf out of the pan.
- Slice and top with honey and cinnamon, or jam. Enjoy!